lördag 11 augusti 2012

Aokigahara

"The suicide forest"

I'm sure most of you have already heard about this forest, and you probably want to stay away from it. For some reason, I'm fascinated by it and I really want to grab a friend, my camera and go exploring it. Daytime, of course.

For those who don't know, Aokigahara is the 2nd most common place in the world to commit suicide. It's a 35-square-kilometre forest (that's huge!) at the base of Mount Fuji. It's said that there are ghosts and lost souls in the forest, from the people who comitted suicide, as well as there is almost no wildlife at all. And if it wasn't spooky enough, your GPS, cell phone or compass probably won't work due to the high amount of minerals in the soil, plus that it's almost completely quiet thanks to the high density of the trees, blocking the wind.

Despite all this, it seems like such a beautiful forest, and I get the feeling that it needs to be loved. I don't know why, but that's the feeling I got from it, say what you want. I don't think I would ever be able to go deep inside the forest though, since there's a high risk of finding a body somewhere, but just being there for a while would be enough for me. And who knows, maybe I will find a lost soul and convince them to go back home again. That would definitely be a life changing moment, for both me and him or her.

Read more at Tofugu.


click picture for source


 

4 kommentarer:

  1. Åh, min Ojiisan berättade för mig om Aokigahara när jag bodde i Japan, jag blev så "intresserad" av skogen och allt som hör till att jag höll ett tal om den i skolan förra året. Lite morbid kanske men min klass tyckte det var intressant x)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Wow, hadn't heard of this forest before. It looks really spooky and there's something really sorrowful about that picture. You can really imagine a spirit emerging from the mist!

    SvaraRadera
  3. I agree! I'm surprised that there aren't many movies about it, because it really is one of a kind. Or maybe I just haven't found them. There are a few documentaries though!

    SvaraRadera
  4. Åh! Men det är verkligen en intressant skog, det är som något som är hämtat ur en skräckfilm. Hoppas att du drog till med några spökhistorier också, hahaha ;3

    SvaraRadera